- Kids Activities
- Videos & Games
- Village Tour
- Visit Us
Fire Safety Check List: Is Your Home Safe?
Our Fire Safety Check List will help you and your family make sure that you have done everything possible to make your home a safe place to live. Choose "Printer-friendly version" at the bottom of the Fire Safety Check List. Use your browser's Print feature to print out the list. Ask your family to help you make your home a safer place in which to live.
- Place smoke detectors near bedrooms, and on every floor.
- Test the batteries weekly and replace at least once a year or as needed.
- Don't place smoke detectors near air vents.
- Replace worn electrical cords.
- Don't run cords under rugs.
- Don't overload outlets.
Electric Space Heaters
- Don't use an extension cord on a space heater.
- Unplug space heaters when you are not using them.
- Keep space heaters a safe distance from furniture and curtains, and keep the area around the space heater clear of books, papers, and other flammable materials.
- Do not dry your clothes, gloves, or other items on the heater.
Home Fire Escape Plan
- Make sure your family has an escape plan.
- Practice the escape plan every six months.
- Never go back into a burning building.
- Know when to call 911.